Sunday, September 14, 2008

The joys of allergies

OK, so I am never going to take another anti-inflammatory again!!! When I was younger I injured myself quite a lot. I was involved in competitive gymnastics. While preparing for a competition one year I recked my ankle pretty bad. I had torn all the tendons and ligaments in my right ankle, which equals a lot of pain. My doctor prescribed me an anti-inflammatory called Voltaren Rapid, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Well, after taking this drug for 2 or 3 days I had an allergic reaction to it. Apparently the drug does the opposite it is supposed to do when I take it. In a matter of hours my whole body was tightened into a ball of rock hard muscles that wouldn't move. It was the most excruciating pain I have ever endured (worse than child birth). It was so bad my jaw was locked. There was nothing the doctors could do for me. They told me I had to wait until the drug ran it's course, about 4-5 days. All I could do was cry.

Well, last week I was diagnosed with Gout; a form of chronic arthritis that isn't all that common in women, and most women who do get it are post menopausal. Hurray for rarity! My family doctor prescribed me an anti-inflammatory called Apo-Indomethacin, another drug in the NSAID family. I was told the chances of me having an allergic reaction to this drug was highly unlikely. Well, highly unlikely happened. After taking the drug for 2 days I felt my back starting to cease up. I stop taking them immediately but it was still too late. By Saturday morning my back, neck, and shoulders were ceased into a ball of knots, and I was in excruciating pain. I called my father to pick me up at 6 am and headed to the ER. I knew what they were going to tell me, "There is nothing you can do but wait it out." but I thought I would get checked out any ways.

The doctor I had told me that this reaction is not side effect of these drugs and that it was pure coincidence. I explained that it had happened before and that it was on my records. He pulled out his palm pilot, looked up the drug, and said "See, there are no known reactions like this to NISAIDs." Then he continued to tell me that is was most likely a viral infection, prescribed me some T3s for the pain and sent me on my way. I am SO impressed with this doctor that I just might ask to switch over my records to his practice!

So, to close this blog I am making it know to everyone that this pain is all in my head, that my memory of the reaction I had 20-odd years ago never happened, and that all people react the same to ALL drugs. Man, I love the medical professionals who think they know everything. I am greatful that I have a great family doctor!

JOY TO PAIN AND THE INABILITY TO MOVE OR DO ANYTHING FOR MYSELF!!!

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

OK, is this what you mean by a "wonky body"?? That sucks! I hope you're doing alright! Please let me know if there is something I can do to help? Do you need help from the RS at all??? You didn't say anything, you silly girl!